"But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all men generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him!"
James 1:5
An ancient Jewish story tells of a young traveler, who encountered an old man at the edge of a forest. Staring into the darkness of the overgrown foliage in front of him, the young man asked his elder, "Can you tell me the best way through this forest?
The wise old man replied, "I cannot!"
The young man asked, "But haven't you lived here for awhile? Surely you have been in the forest many times."
"Yes," the old man said, "and I can tell you all of the pitfalls and dangers I have encountered. I can tell you which paths not to take. but I have never been all the way through the forest. That is something you must experience for yourself."
Every day, we encounter all kins of problems which others may have faced before us. It is a good thing to ask for advice in these matter. In truth, however, every set of problems has its own unique twists and turns. These subtle differences make each situation unique.
The best advice others give us may very well fall into the category of things "not to do." We can learn from the mistakes of others, and from our own, but in the end, the solution to our new and specific problem will be new and unique.
It is critical, therefore, for us to rely upon the counsel of the Lord every hour of the day, and to ask specifically for His wisdom as we face questions, needs, or troubles. He knows the precise answer for the particular circumstance we face. He knows the beginning from the end.
Others may be experts at what not to do, or what is a good thing to do, but only the Lord can point us in the direction of what is best to do.
During your break today, ask the Lord to show you the best way to handle your day!
(From a Coffee Break with God
by Honor Books)
James 1:5
An ancient Jewish story tells of a young traveler, who encountered an old man at the edge of a forest. Staring into the darkness of the overgrown foliage in front of him, the young man asked his elder, "Can you tell me the best way through this forest?The wise old man replied, "I cannot!"
The young man asked, "But haven't you lived here for awhile? Surely you have been in the forest many times."
"Yes," the old man said, "and I can tell you all of the pitfalls and dangers I have encountered. I can tell you which paths not to take. but I have never been all the way through the forest. That is something you must experience for yourself."
Every day, we encounter all kins of problems which others may have faced before us. It is a good thing to ask for advice in these matter. In truth, however, every set of problems has its own unique twists and turns. These subtle differences make each situation unique.
The best advice others give us may very well fall into the category of things "not to do." We can learn from the mistakes of others, and from our own, but in the end, the solution to our new and specific problem will be new and unique.
It is critical, therefore, for us to rely upon the counsel of the Lord every hour of the day, and to ask specifically for His wisdom as we face questions, needs, or troubles. He knows the precise answer for the particular circumstance we face. He knows the beginning from the end.
Others may be experts at what not to do, or what is a good thing to do, but only the Lord can point us in the direction of what is best to do.
During your break today, ask the Lord to show you the best way to handle your day!
(From a Coffee Break with God
by Honor Books)







1 comment:
Thank you, dear sister. I need to cry out to the Lord more often for wisdom. Every day is a "needy" day!
Love
Jen
Audience of ONE
Post a Comment